Monday 6 January 2014

Sellsy's Monday Supplement

Michael Carberry hits the ball in the middle of the bat for the first time in the recent Ashes series and the bat, probably riddled with rot and woodworm as not been properly used for a while, snapped in half! That just about summed up England’s tour to Australia, broken!

The worse tour to Australia ever? Nearly as bad as the series in 2006/7, when England lost by the same margin under the leadership (I use that word loosely) of Freddie Flintoff. The Aussies then had a world class side, the likes off Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Gilchrist, Warne and McGrath to name just a few. This current Aussie side are not even close to that.

Anyway enough of that, we can analyse until the preverbal cows come home; a lot has been said and will be said over the coming weeks. The only thing the annoys me is that the sacrifice I have to endure in changing my sleeping pattern to watch that debacle, at least the last Test only lasted three days!

So what next for England? Who knows, some change in personnel amongst the backroom staff maybe the way forward - even Marcus Trescothick’s name has been mentioned, but that was in some tin pot Sunday newspaper - along with a change in the playing staff. Andy Flower will keep his job as head coach and Alastair Cook will stay on as captain, so he should, it’s the rest of the team who needs to look at themselves. Ben Stokes and Stuart Broad (just), can take anything from the tour, but it’s the batting that worries me. 

So with the shortest day now behind us, it is now countdown to the 2014 County Championship season and the start of the West Somerset Cricket League. Over Stowey will soon be starting indoor nets, should I turn up to get rid of relaxed muscle around my stomach, or should I get fit first? Neither I expect as I just rely on my great technique and good eye for the ball – saying that I need a new pair of glasses!

Somerset players are dotted around the world playing cricket in Australia and New Zealand, enjoying the warmth and heat no doubt, while we suffer in the wind, rain and floods. So what are the prospects of Somerset claiming some silverware this season, well something to examine over the next few months, just look out for the Overton twins! 

Right, have a look at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ePx61TkXKY this will definitely cheer you up. Piers Morgan, or big mouth (amongst other things I have heard people call him), takes on Brett Lee in the nets. I am led to believe Morgan said that he could do better than the England players – how many broken ribs? 

Right, 6.27, time for skittles and a few Thatchers in the Cottage.

No comments:

Post a Comment