Monday 13 January 2014

Sellsy's Monday Supplement

Like quite a few people I know, I awoke early on Sunday, heard the cricket score, England posted a fairly reasonable total, so I decided to get up and watch the Aussie response. To my horror I saw Ravi Bopara trundling in, sending down some pies.

That was just the start of the horror show. England’s fielding was terrifying; Tim Bresnan summed that up by his non-stop on the boundary when it went straight through him. The advertising hoarding behind him summed it up, “Bloody Awful Mate!”

So sitting down in my armchair and seeing yet another chance go down, I scrambled for my iPhone to see who exactly had been picked to represent England that day. More disbelief, not only in the selection, but the TV replay went against England for a perfectly good catch (I’ll go on to that later!). I know everyone has their point of view and it is easy to criticise when things go bad, but for me there are some glaring errors in selection.

1.        Joe Root – Needs a break, completely out of form, needs to be rested, in fact he needs to come home and have a rest for a month, then play some County Cricket and get ready for the series against Sri Lanka.
 
2.       No front line spinner. The afore mentioned Joe Root was apparently picked as the spinner, then Ravi bowled most of the overs anyway. What was the point of selecting James Tredwell and Danny Briggs in the squad if they don’t get picked?

3.       The batting line-up was just a joke. Jos Buttler going in at number eight was mind boggling to say the least. He needs to be five, and then perhaps the score will go above 300. Again, I could go on, Bopara shouldn’t even be there (how many more chances?), Captain Cook is not justifying his place (he also needs a break me thinks), in fact the line up was a complete shambles.

The line-up I would choose would go something like this: Carberry, Bell, Ballance, Morgan, Buttler, Stokes, Bresnan, Broad, Jordan, Briggs, and Woakes. Ok, it seems a bit bowler all-rounder heavy, but what I can see already in the first ODI the pitches look like a batting paradise, so England need to swap it about a bit, keep the opposition guessing and perhaps catch a few to help out the bowlers would be nice.

The technology issue is now starting to get on my nerves, after the latest incident involving David Warner. Ok, it was not Warner’s fault on this occasion, just the referral and technology. Warner edged it, Buttler snapped up the chance by scooping the ball just as it was in danger of hitting the deck, Warner asked Buttler did he catch it, Buttler confirmed he did and Warner started to walk off. Then the umpires intervened. It was referred to the third umpire who gave the benefit of the doubt to the batsman purely because the TV replay was inconclusive and back came Warner. As soon as it was referred you knew that would happen, commentating Ian Botham good as said the same thing. Ridiculous to say the least. What is the point of having technology if it doesn’t work?

On the subject of technology, Joe Root needs to use the referral system better. Is it my imagination or every time he is given out LBW, he refers it and the decision seems to be always in favour of the bowler. I know no one likes being out LBW, but come on Joe, these umpires are of high quality and anyway, I believe the referral is there for grave umpiring errors. At least Stuart Broad has calmed down his use referrals as he believed every time he hits the pad the batsman is out – you are not that good Stuart.

Ok, that’s enough from me. For someone who is not a great lover of ODI’s I have said a lot today, I suppose it is just England playing rubbish and I care! 

6.27, Time for a Thatchers before skittles I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment