Monday 23 December 2013

Sellsy's Monday Supplement

Sad news, this will be my last SMS of 2013, I can feel your pain all ready! 

So here are my Christmas and New Year hopes and wishes: 

  1. Somerset to win the County Championship.
  2. Jamie Overton to take 50+ First Class wickets.
  3. Marcus Trescothick to hit a ton!
  4. Lewis Gregory, Adam Dibble, Alex Barrow, Jack Leach and James Regan to come of age and return the faith Somerset have put in to them.
  5. Craig Meschede to improve on last season and become the leading all rounder not only at Somerset but in the country – Sorry Tregs, give him some sort of target and hopefully emulate you at some stage, congrats on your recent ton and 500th First Class wicket.
  6. To go to a final and actually enjoy it. Well if Somerset get to a final, I won’t enjoy it!
  7. The sun to be out on May 6th so as I can enjoy my birthday, while watching Somerset, having a pint of cider or two!
  8. Pick up a tidy some from the bookies in September when Somerset win all three competitions.
  9. Over Stowey to get promoted to Division One.
  10. To get this blog promoted on TV – tried a few times. The funniest being my encounter with Rob Key, at a Lord’s final. I had a few flyers to give out around the ground, I decided to try the TV pundits, Rob was walking from the pitch to the press boxes, I handed a flyer to him and he looked at it, signed it and gave it back! 
This piece was written a day before Graeme Swann decided to hang up his cricketing boots - mixed reaction to say the least. Was he pushed, did he jump or was he being sensible.

Take it from me your cricketing body can only go on for so long and Graeme’s has had its day. He is not the potent force he was two years ago, and by looking at his body language especially in the last Test, you sort of knew his time was up. 

For me he is being sensible, the Ashes are lost, England need to rebuild, he won’t play in another Ashes series, so why not bow out and give someone else a chance. I hear that Monty was sent to play Grade cricket as he was told he would be playing on Boxing Day and needed to get some match practice in.

Now with Jonathan Trott back home in the UK, Swann now not far behind him, who will be next? Jonny Bairstow for Matt Prior? Surely they must pick Gary Ballance?

Anyway, I’ll be back on 6th Jan, by then England might of come to their senses and appoint a new head coach. 5.27, time for a Thatchers in The Cottage Inn, see you in the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment