Monday 22 October 2012

Sellsy's Sunday Supplement - on a Monday


Me and my big mouth! Why did I volunteer as Tour Manager? Answers to Jack Rich please! Yes, AGM time, time to stand up and say your piece, time, also, to volunteer for things which will make my winter months busier than usual.
So where to go next season? When to go? Who is going to go? What will be the itinerary? How many games shall we play? So many questions, a lot more to come no doubt and I have already had a sleepless night thinking about it!
Without a tour last season, I am sure the players from Over Stowey will be chomping at the bit to go away next season. Julian Pocock has already given me an idea of when to go, he said February. Food for thought, no cricket gets played in the UK that time of year (except indoor), so that will be three days flat out on the you know what!
I expect there will be plenty of ideas flashing around over the next month, I will collate all ideas of when, where, who, what etc. And when I have gone through everything, I will decide what looks good for me and do that!
Seriously, anyone who can come up with any ideas of where we could go on tour, let me know and I will do the ground work in getting prices. I still think the time of year when we should go on our travels should be August or September, so as not to clash with any major cricket finals, oh and we have a little thing of the Ashes next summer. Now that could be a thought, London, Lords and not many games!
Saying that, I see that the ECB has granted Somerset approval to move the County Ground to the technical specifications required for international one day cricket, how exciting is that, and tight on my door step. To be fair, Taunton is a much better ground than Bristol, just can’t understand how Bristol ever got international status. Anyway, great news for Somerset.
On a sad note former Somerset player Martin Crowe has been diagnosed with lymphoma, a type of cancer. One of New Zealand's most celebrated batsmen, Crowe, 50, had played 77 Tests between 1982 and 1995, before he was forced to quit international cricket due to a bad knee. Crowe joined Somerset as their overseas player after the sacking of Viv Richards and Joel Garner, which was followed by Ian Botham quitting the club. So he arrived at a difficult time, knowing that the club was still split over the loss of those three great players.  
Right, nearly time for skittles, no SSS next week, away on a short walking break in the Brecon Beacons! I wonder if they have Thatchers Cider in Wales?

No comments:

Post a Comment