Sunday 14 October 2012

Sellsy's Sunday Supplement


So what happened last night? Can any of the cricketers from Over Stowey remember? Can anyone recall who won what?
Last night was Over Stowey Cricket Club’s annual presentation evening, the event I look forward to most throughout the cricket season, where Stowey celebrate their recent season and where awards are handed out to those who have achieved and, in one case, a non achiever.
Now I am struggling to recall who did win, I know I wrote the names down somewhere, back of a napkin knowing me, but have lost the thing. The only way I can make any head or tail in who won what is by looking at a few pictures which I have taken for the paper, but that is useless without editorial to send to say who won what. Plus I want it for our website and the next edition of the local parish magazine.
Ok the cider flowed, everyone was joyous, all having a laugh, especially at my speech no doubt, so I was easily distracted somewhat, no wonder I lost the thing, I know I wrote down the winners, but where is that napkin?
Less about my woes, I am sure I can find out who did win what, if not I will make it up!
Out of all the awards handed out at the evening, the one, in my eyes, is the most important is the Players Player award. I say this as this is the only award voted for by all of the players on the night. No one knows who’s going to win until all the votes are counted, whereas others are done on averages, a captains’ pick or a committee pick.
Now that I have stopped playing I do not get to vote for this award, which is a shame really, because I am the only person in the club who actually votes for me. I was always guaranteed at least one vote. Kelvin, who adjudicates the vote counting, must off wondered over the years who the hell voted for me, now the secret is out!
Congratulations to Micheal Barrow who won the Players Player (one winner I did remember), fully deserved. Other winners were Jack Rich, Ben Enever, Nick Rich, Lee Rich, Rhys Satchell, David Rowsell and Phil Rich. I don’t know what they won, but their faces appear in my photo, looks like Jack won a few awards.
Another award which I like is the Hole in the Hand, the award for drop catches throughout the season or in other words the award no one wants to win. This year the award did not go to someone who dropped catches, but to someone who actually caught the ball, but subsequently ran over the boundary in his celebration and disbelief, thus six runs and the batsman was therefore not out! 
 
Well actually the laws of cricket say that if the act of making the catch shall start from the time when a fielder first handles the ball and shall end when a fielder obtains complete control both over the ball and over his own movement. So in other words the catch should of stood. Oh well, it’s very funny, thank you Dan Butson for entertaining us and congratulations on your award. 

The format of the evening is that we arrive early, have a few pints, then have a sit down four course meal, where a few more pints are consumed, plus some wine. This is followed by speeches, some heckling, another pint in between the speeches and finally the awards. 

After we all retire to the bar, some photos are taken; we then congratulate each other on a tremendous season over a few pints, the odd spoof and a walk home in the early hours of the morning!

Ok, its 10.57, do I dare go for a pint? Or should I do the press release? 

Don’t forget, AGM next Sunday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment