Sunday 4 November 2012

Sellsy's Sunday Supplement


One of the toughest Test series starts in a few weeks time, India away. Trial by spin, dusty tracks, dodgy food and water, but one of the most fascinating places to go on tour. It is also a tough tour for those who watch it back here in the UK, a very early start in freezing cold Britain, best I start to get some practice in for early mornings and that would mean early nights!

England are now half way through their second warm up match ahead of the first Test which starts in a few weeks time and with the return of Kevin Pietersen the competition for places has warmed up quite considerably. No doubt KP will go in at number four, so who will open with Captain Alastair Cook? Joe Root or Somerset’s Nick Compton.

I know all us here in Somerset, who have watched Compo for the past few seasons scoring runs, more runs, in fact loads of runs for Somerset, hope he will be picked ahead of Yorkshire’s Root. Compo, as he admits himself, is not a flamboyant player, as he has cut that out of his game, he will just score in his strong areas, and defend / leave balls that will potentially cost him his wicket. A very sensible approach, especially for those who aspire to play the game at the very top level.

Compo is a very likeable chap, and on the very few times I have managed to have a quick word with him, usually on the lines off “How’s the injury?” “Fine” he would reply. Saying that I am pretty sure he will do the decent thing and give me an exclusive for my blog when he returns from his England duties. I know my niece would be a bit jealous if he agrees to it. I may even ask him if he would like to include it in one of his Compo’s Clips, now that would be just great!

I see that former Somerset captain Graeme Smith has signed a three year deal with Surrey and he will captain the side for that period as well. Surrey have now signed him, Gary Keedy from Lancashire and Vikram Solanki from Worcestershire and all of a sudden they look very strong, possible contenders for the County Championship in 2013. Now what are Somerset going to do? Firstly appoint a replacement for Brain Rose. I wonder if I should apply for the job.

It is with great sadness that Ceefax is no longer with us, the BBC teletext service. Ok, I do admit that I used to watch the Somerset scores on Ceefax, then there was no internet and this was the only way to find out the cricket scores. Apparently John Cleese once rang up the BBC to complain that the Somerset score wasn’t being updated quick enough, good for you John.

John Cleese is the most famous Somerset supporter I am aware of, I know Leslie Crowther used to support The Set, but I don’t know of any other celebrity supporters the follow this wonderful county. Ok, we have the Wurzels I suppose, but that is par for the course. So does anyone know of any celebs that watches and supports Somerset, it would be great to know, the more famous the better, and John Cleese is not a bad standard to compare against. Now where is my dead parrot!

Ok, Over Stowey. I have had a few ideas for cricket tour for next season, please if you have any thoughts, let me know I will explore possibilities. Andrew Jeanes has come up with a view; I have done some research with the possibility of going to Yorkshire and South Wales.

The last time I saw Jeansy, he got me so pissed, on a Wednesday in July, I drove to work good as straight from the pub! Oh, those school nights.

Movember is here, I am doing my bit for charity, any ideas on what shaped moustache you would like me to grow would be greatly appreciated, at the moment I am going to let it do its best and see what happens. Don’t forget, give your donations.

Right, 14.57, time for a pint.

No comments:

Post a Comment