Tuesday 17 February 2015

Sellsy's Cricketing Thoughts

Tuesday 17th February

“Catches win Matches.” Aaron Finch dropped on naught went on to hit a match winning century, I wonder how Chris Woakes feels.

Any conciliation Chris I have done the same for Over Stowey when I was captain for the second team. I knew this batsman was dangerous having seen his scores from the previous few weeks in the local paper. Set an attacking field, he miss timed a cut, straight at me, in and out, dropped on nought, went on to hit a ton. Every run was agony.

I know we all drop them it happens, but the drop catch by Woakes wasn’t the only factor which cost England the game in their opening match in the World Cup against the Aussies. Poor bowling at the death, bad shot selection and I think England should off gone for the jugular when the Aussies were three down, oh well.

One good thing for me was the team selection, Bopara out, Ballance in. What’s the betting my good friend will be selected for the next match against New Zealand this weekend?

Enough of that and take a bow Ireland. Chased down over 300 to beat the West Indies, cracking result, I should image there is a massive inquest going on in the Caribbean right now.

The decline of the West Indies has been quite remarkable to say the least. I was brought up in a golden era of West Indian cricket, the most fearsome bowling attack the world of cricket has ever seen, and with that a batting line up which were just a marvel to watch. I would say the finest team I have ever seen play the game.

So where has it all gone wrong for the West Indies? Something I just cannot answer. But one thing has puzzled me, where are the pure pace bowlers as we had back in the 70’s and early 80’s? Not just West Indians but in world cricket.

I can name two, maybe three at present: Dale Steyn, Mitchell Johnson and Vernon Philander, but I would describe the latter as more of an all-rounder than a pure pace bowler. I suppose back in the 70’s and 80’s we would ask: where are all the quality spinners? Then along came three at once.

The game moves on, styles and techniques always seem to be changing, but I just did love the pure speed of the West Indian bowling attack. How fast were they? Well one touring game I watched at Taunton Malcolm Marshall was bowling from the River End, and the wicketkeeper, Jeff Dujon, positioned himself about 10 yards in from the Old Pavilion boundary. Marshall would bowl, no one in the ground could see the ball and then you would hear a thud like sound as Dujon would take the ball in front of his face. Now that was quick.

Enough reminiscing, England v New Zealand next, a must win game? Perhaps, but a better performance with the bat, ball and in the field would help.

Time for a lie down me thinks and get ready for Friday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment