Monday 19 January 2015

Sellsy's Monday Supplement


Monday 19th January
Right, time to stick my neck out. Forget what I have been saying about England’s slim chances of winning the World Cup, I may of been a bit hasty, as I do believe they will win it. Yes, I am confident they will win it, and here’s my thinking.
Australia will not win it for two reasons. Firstly I think they have peaked and may off peaked too soon. They have been beating everyone in sight over the past three months, I believe they will become too arrogant and cocky (more so than usual, look at Warner). Their form will not last, which leads me on to the second reason, home disadvantage.
When England beat them in the opening match, the whole country will be on their backs, from the little boy in the street to the big media giants who will just slag them off for fun. Home advantage just does not work; only one country has won the World Cup when the final has been staged on home soil, India.
As for India, they will not win it, again for two reasons. Firstly, they are not playing on home, the tracks in Australia just do not suit them, and secondly, no Little Master.
What about South Africa I hear you cry, well what about them? Big time bottlers South Africa, the pressure will get to them and will muck it up in the semi-finals for sure. I also think again they are peaking too soon.
The other favourite team to win it is Sri Lanka. A two man side in Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene, get these two out and the rest will crumble. And with Malinga still yet to prove his fitness they may struggle defending totals.
I can see the final being contested between England and New Zealand. Get Brendon McCullum early and victory is guaranteed.
So why have I changed my tune? Why the sudden optimism? What have I been drinking?
Me thinks England have nothing to lose, and I also think they are a much better side than what the media makes out. Another factor is that Jimmy Anderson will spearhead the bowling attack, which will give the whole bowling unit a massive lift.
It looks as if Ian Bell and Moeen Ali will open the batting, with Ali in the side he can also bowl 10 overs. With this in mind England could play an extra batsman, so why not stick Gary Ballance in at six instead of Bopara.  Buttler at seven (maybe a bit low, but hey they can change to order if needs be), followed by Broad, Finn, Anderson and Tredwell.
Just be brave England, before it’s too late and go and win that darn thing in a blaze of glory. Don’t forget folks, you heard it here first!
Time for me to ile down and think about seeing a shrink! England at 12-1, well it’s worth a few quid, or am I better off using the monies to buy a pint?

No comments:

Post a Comment