Monday 20 October 2014

Sellsy's Monday Supplement


Monday 20th October 2014
Gary Thomas followed up his success at Over Stowey’s awards night last week by picking up the bowling award in Division Two of the West Somerset League, at an average of 9.86. Wow, that is some average, with his best return of six wickets for five runs in just under four overs. Great year for Gary well deserved.
Last night Over Stowey held its AGM, and as AGM’s go, this was quite a good one. It went smoothly, a few surprises and much to look forward to over the next few years.
The thing which caught my eye on the agenda was Cricket Tour 2015. And when the subject was brought up it was decided that there was enough interest within the club to proceed with a tour in 2015. How exciting, Torquay he we come, just hope our hotel isn’t on top of a cliff again!
Another thing we have to look forward to in 2015 is George Pike as 2nd XI vice-captain. George comes up with some wonderful ideas, and now he has some sort of position within the club he’ll probably come up with some more. I already hear that he would like a team mascot in the form of a goat! I am not “kidding” you, he wants a goat to wear the club’s colours, plus take him on tour! Anyway, welcome aboard George, somehow I think the cricket club will never be the same.
Now I do like a good tea when I am at cricket and now that Wendy has stood down as Stowey’s tea lady, this position needs to be filled, probably the most important position within the club. It was discussed at length during the AGM and it seems there is no shortage of volunteers. Now Wendy’s teas were one of the best in the West Somerset League, so pressure there ladies, I will try not to judge, but I do like a scone or two!
Congratulations must go to Ryan Gamblin who has taken on the role as 1st XI captain, with Stuart Duerden as his vice-captain. New faces new ideas, a bit like a fresh start for the forthcoming 2015 season. Well done to you both and best of luck.
So the 2015 season is going to be a busy and interesting one, with a whole list of friendlies, league fixtures, cup matches, youth cricket, plus all the events off the field, I am already looking forward to 2015. There will be plenty of umpiring for me to do no doubt.
One final thing, on the set of accounts we had to pay out £20 for a “mole.” Now can someone please explain what this is for; do we have a spy in another cricket club, has someone had one removed from their nose, or is this just expenses for our resident mole? Someone will explain no doubt!
Ok, time for me to lie on my back for the rest of the evening. No skittles for me I’m afraid, strained my back muscles picking up a bottle! Sounds ridiculous, but it’s bloody painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment