Monday 13 October 2014

Sellsy's Monday Supplement


Monday 13th October 2014
So my predictions were way off, so what do I know. Out of the 14 awards handed out I only managed to predict six correctly, oh well.
The Player’s Player award is the award I like to see who wins, as it is the only award not decided by the “group of four” and is voted for by the players. When I used to play, I was always guaranteed one vote, as I used to vote for myself. Wouldn’t it be great next year is that everyone votes for themselves, the look on Kelvin’s face when he is counting the votes would be priceless to witness.
The Clubman award is also another of my favourites, mainly because it is now the only one I can win. However, it gives recognition to unsung heroes within the club. It is not just turn up on a Saturday to play. A lot goes on behind the scenes to make the club tick.
In my case my work usually starts in February when I contact existing and potential new sponsors and vice-presidents and basically asking them for a contribution. Then the fixture brochure is then designed, organised and then printed off – that takes up most of my time. After all printed off, time to chill and do some umpiring for the rest of the season. Who says I am not committed, well really I’m just making a pitch for the 2015 award!
As for the Hole in the Hand – to be renamed the Dan “down on one knee” Butson award in recognition for the art of fielding and running between the wickets, I think it was rather fitting that the 1st XI won that award for their performance in the first game of the season when 13 catches were spilled, 11 off one batsman (I think he won the lottery that night as well).
Stephen Miller came up to me after saying that he thought he was nailed on to win the Hole in the Hand, just the three dropped catches in a game, but to be fair they were very difficult chances.
Bumping in to Les Biffen on Saturday night made my evening somewhat. Les and myself reminisced about cricket tours, especially the Marldon trip. Drinking with the whole of Marldon, and I am a boxer are some of the phrases used on tour, more will be revealed once I have spoken to lawyers!
So the evening itself, a combination of good food, excellent company, quality cider, great speeches and worthy award winners. However I am a bit unsure about the 1st Team batting award. The whole room was a bit shocked when Sorty’s name was read out, but I do understand the criteria for this award had changed. It was not given for averages, but for balls faced without scoring, only one winner there then.
Carl seemed a bit embarrassed when he picked up the award for 2nd Team batting, as he is a bowler. I know he tried his best not to win the award by being dismissed first ball of the game against Brompton Ralph in the 2nd XI’s last game of the season, but to no avail, the award was his.
That’s about it for Over Stowey’s 2014 season, except for the AGM on Sunday. I will be back next week, and throughout the winter (a small matter of England playing in the World Cup – I wonder how many times I will mention Ravi Bopara?). 
Now time for Thatchers and skittles, now I wonder if I’ll make Team of the Week again?

No comments:

Post a Comment