Monday 4 March 2013

Sellsy's Monday Supplement


Australia are in trouble, in fact they are in deep s%&t! After being comprehensively beaten by India in the first Test, another heavy defeat is on the cards for our Aussie friends. How good is that?
 
Now, if you remember before Christmas, England toured India and won the four Test series 2-1. The Aussies are also playing a four Test series and are likely to go 2-0 down, as they are still need another 200 runs to make India bat again.

For an England supporter and with back-to-back Ashes fast approaching this is very refreshing news indeed. Looking at their starting XI for this current Test I don’t see any threatening names, albeit Michael Clarke, like there was some two years ago. Nothing like the Waugh’s, Ponting, Hayden, Langer, Warne, McGrath et al, all were the scourge of English cricket for many a year.

I am not going to say England will hammer the Aussies, it would be nice if they would, purely because it’s the Ashes, but the English hierarchy must be looking at two series victories and dominance in all areas on the pitch. The bookies certainly think so, as England are at best 1-2 favourites to win here in the first set of Test’s.

So it’s the first Test Tuesday night against New Zealand in Dunedin. So that means bed early on Tuesday afternoon and will be up all night with my eyes glued to the TV. Or will it be stay awake as long as possible and watch as much as I can up to the lunch interval. Or even go to bed, turn my Iphone on, fall to sleep and miss the whole lot. For those who know me best the latter of the three will be favourite, but we shall see!

I have great memories of watching cricket in New Zealand. I managed to catch two Test matches and a couple of One Day Internationals when I visited back in 1997. It should of been three ODI’s, but I missed the third one of the series as I got a little distracted in a place called Tauranga on my way down to Napier from Auckland. Met a few ex-pats, it was only going to be a fleeting visit, but ended up sleeping on Keith Jones’ sofa for two nights and we watched the game on TV, blowing the froth of a few!

Missed an exciting one as that match was tied and so was the one day series 2-2, England having won the first two, the two I watched in Christchurch and Auckland.

More memories next week, loads to tell, especially meeting up with my good friend from Stowey, Marcus. Something for next week perhaps?

Anyway, enough from me, 6.57, time for skittles and a Thatchers or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment