Monday 11 March 2013

Sellsy's Monday Supplement (SMS)


The debate over who should open for England no doubt will be put to bed now after Somerset’s Nick Compton hit an under pressure century in a 200+ opening stand with captain Alastair Cook in England’s second inning of the first Test against New Zealand, effectively saving them from defeat.

Compo done what he does best, occupying the crease, scoring heavily and taking time out of the game, which helped earn England a draw. I do hope those in the Joe Root camp (mainly from Yorkshire) will keep quiet as, for once, he failed in both innings going in at number six. Admittedly Root will one day open for England in Tests, and I have an inclining he may even captain his country, possibly in all formats of the game, but the opening berth is Compo’s, for this series anyway.

Compo’s County colleagues at Somerset are now back training at the County Ground ready for the forthcoming season; even Pete Trego has been pounding the streets of Weston keeping himself in trim before proper training commences. With the new Director of Cricket, David Nosworthy, arriving in the next few weeks you suddenly realise that the new season is just over four weeks away – hard to believe as I drove to work this morning there was snow on the Quantock’s.

With realisation that the first ball will be delivered on April 10th I must now deliberate how I should do my Somerset bet for 2013. Over the past six seasons I have placed bets on Somerset to win all competitions in a season, whether it has been a straight accumulator, a lucky 15 (when there was four competitions), or a patent. Ever since I have been placing my bets Somerset seem to be bridesmaids, perennial runners-up or just darn frustrating, what ever phrase takes your fancy. I even changed my bet one season and done them each-way, and that season they did oblige and came runners-up in three competitions.

However, I want them to win, and like most supporters, win the County Championship and if I happen to pick up any cash reward that would be just an added bonus. The bookies think Somerset have a decent chance of winning silver wear in 2013 as they are second favourites to win the County Championship and firm favourites to win both limited overs competitions. So my mind is maid up a win patent and let the season commence.
 
Australian cricket seems to be in more disarray than ever at present. After being absolutely thumped by India in the first two Tests, they have now have dropped Shane Watson, James Pattinson, Mitchell Johnson and Usman Khawaja the third Test for a breach of discipline. Now for any English supporter this is quite amusing, in fact very amusing even though quite baffling. There will no doubt be masses of column inches about this over the next few weeks / months and a lot more will be said and done. I wonder how our friends down under feel. Any comments from those who support the baggy green? Roll on the Ashes!

Anyway, enough from me, 6.57, time for skittles and a Thatchers or two. Don’t forget Stowey players, skittles night on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment