Monday 21 January 2013

Sellsy's Monday Supplement


Would you believe 80 years ago diplomatic ties with our friends from down under were strained to say the least. Yes 80 years ago was the infamous Bodyline series, where Douglas Jardine and his English team whipped some Aussie arse to win the Ashes in Australia. 


Now 80 years on the old foes do battle yet again, with an unprecedented back-to-back series. The Aussies visit our shores first, and then a trip down under for Christmas and the New Year. 

The Australian team seem to be in a bit of a rebuilding process with a lot of the old guard handing up their boots. Ricky Ponting has now gone, along with Mike Hussey. There seems to be some uncertainty who are going to replace these two great players? Plus the whole side seems to be a bunch of no-names, Michael Clarke the only exception.

Now those words could come back to haunt me, and knowing how my luck has gone so far this year a lot of Aussie new names being rammed down my throat. But hey, we shall see, somehow I think England already have the measure for the Aussies, with a very settled side and some promising youngsters ready to move into the team if someone fails!

Well, today I am pretty excited as I have now renewed my Somerset membership. Walking through the County Ground this lunch time cricket seems a long way away, with the whole ground covered in snow. Hey ho, high hopes and the fixtures are firmly in my diary. What shall we expect this season? One thing is for sure quality cricket and another rollercoaster ride. Silverware at the end? I do hope so.

With this in mind Alfonso Thomas reached another final of a T20 competition, this time in the Australia Big Bash, playing for Perth Scorchers. Guess what, another runners-up medal for Tommo, he must be getting used to it by now I think!

Right, 6.57, time for skittles and a pint or two of Thatchers!


No comments:

Post a Comment