Monday 7 January 2013

Sellsy's Monday Supplement (SMS)


Happy New Year to one and all, and the two weeks since my last blog it has been a very busy time in the cricketing world, and to cap it all off Shane Warne through his dummy out of the pram. 

For those of you who haven’t seen it he had a spat with Marlon Samuels in Australia’s Big Bash Twenty20 competition, it is hilarious, have look on this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/20930680 Incidentally Warne’s side, Melbourne Stars went on to lose the game, but could still qualify for the semis, where they could meet Samuels’ side Melbourne Renegades, now that could be worth watching. 

The last two weeks saw the loss of two great cricketing commentators, in Tony Greig and Christopher Martin-Jenkins, with two very contrasting styles. Greig is also noted for the way he helped transform cricket to what we know it now, with all the coloured clothing, floodlights etc by joining the Kerry Packer World Series Cricket.  

As for CMJ, my memory of him is always being late for his stint in the commentary box, or maybe, as it did happen once, turning up at the wrong ground for a Test match. 

Now with Christmas, New Year and the Winter Solstice out of the way, the days will start to get longer, the nights shorter, which means one thing, countdown to the cricket season.  

The next few months no doubt I will be getting me head around the work I need to do for Over Stowey, getting ready for the new season does involve quite a bit. Website to update with fixtures, contacting vice-presidents and sorting out the Sponsors, to name but three. But hey, I am ready, and I am sure the club’s Chairman, Phil, will give me his support in every way he can! 

Now the other dilemma I have is my Somerset bet. It will yet be placed yet again, Somerset to win all three competitions, the dilemma is to do it each-way or to win outright. I hate to say I feel confident, but with the re-signing of Abdur Rehman and the new signing of South Africa’s Alvrio Petersen they will strengthen the squad no end.  

David Nosworthy is an interesting choice to replace Brian Rose as the new Director of Cricket. Unheard off in this country apart from those in the know, but has a good pedigree in the Southern Hemisphere in South Africa and New Zealand, having won trophies and reached finals in both countries. Vic Marks seems pleased with the capture of Nosworthy, so who am I to disagree, which I wouldn’t do anyway. Will he be the man to help lead Somerset to glory in the County Championship, give them that little bit extra to help spur them on in one day cricket, wow, shall I book up my seat for Lord’s now? 

Ok, nearly time for skittles, 6.27, time for a few ciders at the Cottage Inn before the trip to Watchet!

No comments:

Post a Comment