Monday 11 November 2013

Sellsy's Monday Supplement


Have you ever volunteered for a task, thinking how difficult could it be? And it ends up being a bit of a headache!

Well, yours truly has been tasked with searching the Over Stowey Cricket Club archives so as to document who held what position within the club since the war. The last 30 odd years since I have been associated with the club are easy to document (just some trouble with dates), however going back before that is a bit troublesome.

So where do I start, old minute books are favourite, but who has them? I first approached former club Chairman, Steve Little, for some help, guidance and direction. Firstly he has no minute books, secondly he believes that the great pavilion flood some 20+ years ago wiped out all records, but he did give me other names in who to contact.

My second port of call was another former Chairman, Simon Pickard, who gave me a bit more hope and guidance. He believes that the flood only wiped out score books, not minute books (phew), and he gave me a more positive lead in someone who to contact – my next step this week.

I now have names going back to the late 70’s and early 80’s to the present date, one or two holes to fill and one or two question marks over names in the right position within the club. Was Steve Darch ever 2nd XI captain, me thinks he was.

Also, putting names on a piece of paper makes you think whatever happened to these guys? Where is Steve Holley now? Does anyone remember Jim Holden? Is Robin Moiser still scoring the majority of his runs behind square?

As you can see, I have more questions than answers, but I am confident things will unravel itself over the winter months. But is there anyone out there who can help?

Anyway, Ashes, just over a week away, and only one more warm-up game to go. Matt Prior is an injury concern, Michael Carberry looks as if he is favourite to open the innings, Joe Root will thus fill the number six spot, but who will be the third seamer? Has Graham Onions been called up yet?

Selection will become clearer during the final warm-up game over the next week. In the mean time I will start getting my Ashes practice in, adjusting my sleep pattern! So how will I do this, get home from work and straight to bed, wake up at 11pm, watch the first few hours under the duvet on my iPhone, then back to sleep for four more hours, then awake for the end of the last session before going to work. How difficult can it be?

Well, there are a few spanners, skittles Friday and Monday, so, no sleep before the start of play, thus missing the whole days’ play I expect. Plus I have the problem of work, in fact driving to work, something not to be done when tired.

A simple solution to all this is give up work, book up the next available flight to Australia and clear off for two months, now that would be nice!

Ok, 5.27, time to get ready for skittles, Thatchers et al!

No comments:

Post a Comment