Monday 17 June 2013

Sellsy's Monday Supplement


I go away on holiday for one week and certain things do hit the fan while I am away, so where do I start? 

Firstly, David Warner. An Aussie smacks a Pom in a Walkabout bar, not really news there, apart it was an Aussie cricketer having a pop at little Joe Root for wearing a fake beard! Someone should of told Warner that Root is a Yorkshireman, and they are made of stern stuff. For me a storm in teacup, his apologised, and has got a ban, lets move on. The English crowd will certainly let Warner know what they think during the upcoming Ashes series, now that will be punishment enough. 

One more thing on this, I do think the ECB let the news of this incident leak out so that it coincided with the Aussies match against New Zealand, so it muck up their preparations somewhat, well done the ECB and in an Ashes year! 

Secondly, Bob Willis. I think the former England Captain has been itching to say something for years, but has been somewhat restrained by Sky. But the all hell was let loose when he somewhat implied that the English bowlers tamper with the ball to make it swing, reverse swing etc. Of course this was denied by the English, but does Bob have a point?  

Anyway that’s beside the point, I was pleased to hear a Sky pundit give strong / radical point of view, rather than towing the company line, how refreshing, better than being part of a self-congratuly former England captain club. Apart from Ian Botham off course, bet he was loving what Willis said. 

I do like Bob Willis as a pundit and commentator, and one of my particular favourite bits of commentary was when England toured Sri Lanka some 15 years ago. Ashley Giles was bowling, the delivery went so wide Willis said: “that was utter rubbish!” 

Thirdly, Essex. All out for 20, LMAO! 

Fourthly, Australia. All out for 65. LMFAO! I do believe Michael Vaughan tweeted that it was a good score in Cardiff for a Tuesday....... on a golf course! This reminds me of the under prepared English sides who used to tour down under; you know the ones, can’t bat, can’t bowl, can’t field....... but be aware of a wounded animal, they will fight, especially for that little urn! 

Anyway, back to some proper cricket, Over Stowey! A great performance by the 1st team on Saturday saw them win by a hefty 150 runs, in fact it was over so quickly that I didn’t have time to finish my third can of Thatchers, let alone going out to umpire. Well played Micheal Barrow, five wickets and he bought a jug back at the club. I do believe there are some other cricketers who owe a jug or two! 

Ok, that’s it for now, look out for an Aussie special in a few weeks time, when the mighty Somerset take on the tourist in a four day warm-up match starting a week on Wednesday, can’t wait, but will it last four days? But first up for Somerset a County Championship game against Derbyshire, surely they will……..I think you know what I mean. 

Anyway, 5.57, time for a Thatchers or two in The Cottage.

No comments:

Post a Comment