Monday 30 July 2012

Sellsy's Olympic Supplement

Or when Michal Phelps met me!

Here is the next part of my Olympic diary, it just gets better and better and busier, but hey, am rubbing shoulders with the world’s best. I wonder what the athletes must think when meet me, Mark Sells, renowned for the love of cider!

July 26th

How do you start a war / diplomatic incident between North and South Korea? Easy, just put the South Korean flag next to sportsmen representing North Korea. Can you believe it? I wonder what happened to the person who pressed that button. Oh well, great news to wake up too before I set off to the Olympic Park.
Busy waiting outside a tube station at 5.15am and do you know what happens next, well a lady of the night (or early morning) wanted to show me a good time before the station opened – only in London I suppose, must have been my uniform I that did it.
So when I eventually reach the safety of the Athletes Village it was straight down to work in Sports Information. What was install for me today? Well one thing it was very busy, not surprising as it was the day before the opening ceremony.
Turkish boxing turned up a day early for their technical meeting. An official from Iraq gave us (three of us) our first pin badges. Some Colombians wanted to know where they could get their haircut – they are asking me – so I made light of the situation and they laughed saying something Spanish which amused them even more. And next up was this sprinter from the Virgin Islands wanting to know where she could get a manicure / facial – is this wind up Sellsy day?
After all this hilarity, to others especially, decided to go and see a welcoming ceremony. Poland, Denmark, France and The Ivory Coast were the ones I watched; there is something about the French National Anthem which just stirs you a little (but not too much). The delegate from the Ivory Coast how a bit of trouble with security as she did not have her accreditation on her; which was interesting to watch indeed.
The last thing I dealt with that day was the Nigerian Basketball Team. The came in on mass, smallest person must have been 7’, they had some technical query, and I after they left my neck was a bit sore looking at them.

July 27th

A bit of momentous day today, spoke to gold medallists from Beijing, Athens and Sydney, plus an IOC delegate, I hate to name drop, so I am not going to – will leave that for another time.
However the highlight was helping out multiple World and European Judo champion Teddy Riner – or Big Ted to his friends. Now this 6’8 giant just oozes strength and class, plus what a gentleman he is. Now I speak pigeon French, and he speaks even more pigeon English, so as you can imagine, we got on really well. I gave him the information that he wanted, said au revoir and off he went, knowing that I have influenced him even more in his quest to become Olympic champion.
Oh and I met Michael Phelps today as well.

July 28th

The morning after the Opening Ceremony and what a fantastic ceremony it was. I picked out athletes who I have spoken to over the past week or so, Big Ted stood out off course, in fact he towered over the rest of the French team. But off course the cricket match was the highlight of the ceremony, how English is that?
This was quite a long day for me today, with an early start after the night before, but hey it was worth it.
Spent most of the day back office, mainly because I was tired, plus results started to come in thick and fast which had to be distributed to the appropriate sports desk. By the end of the day I was just knackered. When I reached my digs, I just crashed out for the night.
What is bizarre about that is the fact it is a Saturday and not one pint passed my lips. What are the Olympics doing for me and my reputation? Lord Coe, are you actually inspiring me?

July 29th

Sad day today, found out that my Congolese Table Tennis friend had been knocked out in the first round, by a Belarusian. I wonder if she has the doubles however?
With a lot of sport taking place the Information Centre was a little quieter than usual, however the results still had to be distributed.
Two highlights of the day, a coach from a participating country asked me if there was an AA meeting place within the village and we are not talking about motor vehicles here. That threw me a little, but I got my mobile phone out and gave him the number from my most used numbers!
Secondly, two tiny Japanese girls walked in, I was about to tell them that the youth games are not this year. However, to my amusement, I realised they were Gymnasts, and after I looked them up on the information computer I found out that they are worthy of them being here, plus they were 16 years old, older than I thought.

Oh well, a couple of days rest back at my full-time job, the back I go for the long haul, until the games finish. So my next supplement will be on the 13th August, an Olympic Special, with plenty of pictures.
17.27, time to try a Thatchers, hurrah!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment