Sunday 6 May 2012

Sellsy's Sunday Supplement

I wonder if Brian Rose has a love affair with South Africa. On the announcement that Chris Gayle was not coming to Somerset for the T20 season, Rose announced that South African all-rounder Francois du Plessis would be his replacement, and with that I hear Somerset have changed their name to Somerset Springbok!

Over the years there have been some great South Africans who have graced the turf at Taunton, and with Albie Morkel also turning out this summer you can nearly name a side of South Africans who have / will have represented the county over the years; let’s give it a go shall we! 

1.     Graeme Smith
2.     Jimmy Cook
3.     Neil Mackenzie
4.     Zander de Bruyn
5.     Francois du Plessis
6.     Roelof van der Merwe
7.     Craig Kieswetter
8.     Albie Morkel
9.     Alfonso Thomas
10.  Vernon Philander
11.  Charl Willoughby
12th man Steve Snell 

Not a bad line up I suppose, one thing for sure there will definitely be a South African twang in the Somerset dressing room this summer.

Somerset’s season is staring to become a bit worrying, especially the manner in which Surrey beat them on Friday evening. All these high hopes at the start of the season have turned into reality, especially with injuries to key players, plus a bowling line up which has been decimated through injury and IPL, will Somerset go for Ajmal Shahzad? Well they need something quick and we are not just talking about his bowling here!

Ok, enough about Somerset, let’s talk Over Stowey. Nothing to mention here really, except that the rain was the winner yesterday, in fact it was favourite to win since about last Sunday. Stowey’s first game (games if you include the youngsters) should have been this weekend when they were supposed to play North Curry, now it does make me wonder whether the home game against Hinkley Point will take place next week, time will tell.

All Out Cricket magazine for May certainly caused me to open my eyes somewhat this week, especially Michael Vaughan tipping Somerset to win the County Championship this season, Michael, if you happen to read this, I do hope you are right, and if you are right you are more than welcome to come for a celebration half or two (ok perhaps a lot more!).

The magazine also featured one of Over Stowey’s keenest supporters, Richard Villis, promoting the Cheeselympics which is due to take place on June 16th. I was quietly reading AOC the other evening in The Cottage, and almost choked on my Thatchers – now that would have been a waste - when I saw Richard’s beaming smile on page 34 of the magazine, along with Tres, Hildy and Simon Francis.

So if you are into your ‘Apple Smashing’ and ‘Cheese Tossing’ Quantock View is the place to be on June 16th, along with live bands, cider and cheese. I will certainly be there, it’s only a couple of fields away from my back garden, plus the event contains two of my favourite words: Cider and Cheese! Oh, and have a look on You Tube for the trailers, they are hilarious!

I don’t know how many more plugs I can get in one blog, I have already mentioned Thatchers Cider, All Out Cricket magazine, The Cottage Inn, plus the Cheeselympics. I think I will leave it at there, as it’s 10.57 and time for a birthday pint of Thatchers at The Cottage Inn!

No comments:

Post a Comment