Sunday 22 April 2012

Sellsy's Sunday Supplement

First I would like to apologise for the lack of a Sunday Supplement last week, I was still coming to terms with Somerset losing away at Warwickshire. Now I hear that Tres is injured, I may need some counselling this early in the season and it’s not even May!

Now some cricketers from Over Stowey might say that I looked fine last Sunday at the club’s open day when it was announced that Somerset had lost, but it may off been something to do with the G&T’s flowing a bit too well. Great to see a number of people at the open day, really enjoyed seeing you all, hope I didn’t say nothing too derogatory!

Back to Somerset, fine win against Middlesex in their first outing of the season, good job class shone through, with Compo smashing runs all round Taunton, while others were losing their wickets. Compo then smashed a ton against Warwickshire, plus a double century against Notts, England form? Oh, the latest Compo’s Clips is ready to view, again another quality piece of work from Nick.

Also, a great debut for Vernon Philander, a wicket in his first over, which helped him to a ‘Michelle’ in the first innings. But where are you for the Notts game, I don’t believe you are injured somehow. Lastly, good to see Dockers take six wickets in Middlesex’s second innings, to set up the win.

The less said about the Warwickshire the better, a game which I believe Somerset should of won, but hey, their No.10 rose to the challenge and saw them home.

Now the best news to come out of The County Ground recently was Thatchers Cider becoming Somerset’s main sponsor. Quality from Somerset, quality from Thatchers and a quality pint to drink after work in The Old Pavilion! Well done to you both.

The start of the County Championship season has seen quite a few low totals, with scores over 350 very rare at the moment, a bit like Rocket buying me a pint! Glamorgan, in their game against Derbyshire were all out for 102 in their second innings, losing their last eight wickets for 21 runs. Durham University were all out for just 18 in their First Class game against Durham, with extras second top score with four.

I must admit playing for Over Stowey I have been in some games where the scores have been particularly low. A trip to Dulverton one season, the journey there and back was longer than the game itself. Also a game against Fitzhead, I arrived at the game with Stowey batting first, and as soon as I got there, was asked to pad up and get in to bat, Stowey were 27-6. At least Steve Darch and myself occupied the cease for some time, batting for 20 over s for about 12 runs, and six of those came in one shot! At least we made it tea!

But my favourite story about low scores which involved Over Stowey was from a former Stowey legend, Fred Ham. Talking to him one evening in the local, he told me the story when Stowey played Fiddington in a pre-season friendly back in the 70’s. With the ground somewhat unprepared – the outfield was about ankle high – batting proved tricky, so much so Stowey could only manage 11 runs. Fiddington thought they had the game in the bag, already talking about an early tea and another game after. However, the smile was soon wiped of their faces when Stowey bowled them out for ten, and therefore winning by one run. What a game indeed.

Over Stowey’s 2nd XI has been going strong for about 20 years now, with myself leading the side for the first two seasons. Now I have played and watched quite a lot 2nd XI cricket over those years, and have been racking my brains for Over Stowey’s all time 2nd XI. Now I know I will be skipper of course, so just need to find ten more players which fit my criteria. I have already some 15 names written down, so the task is already pretty difficult, however if anyone has anyone has any nominations and why, let me know as I am bound to off left someone out. Oh and you can nominate yourself if you want.

Ok, it is now 10.57ish, time for a pint of Thatchers, Somerset’s main sponsor.

No comments:

Post a Comment