Sunday 18 March 2012

Sellsy's Sunday Supplement

The cricketers and officials of Over Stowey are attempting their own bonding session next weekend, something not to be missed. Nothing like the one the Somerset boys done recently, organised by the Royal Marines and took place at Woodbury Park Golf and Country Club and on Woodbury Common, which sounds far too energetic and demanding, plus sleeping out under the stars, what’s that all about?

Nothing like that whatsoever. Stowey will be having their own version of team building, a few beers, a game of skittles, a few more beers, some food, followed by more beer and talking absolute rubbish to one and other, Stowey’s own crucial dynamic in creating a team ethos, (sorry Hildy!). I wonder if I can get my hands on a camcorder before then!

I must admit that I have slept out under the stars before, when walking back from the social club in the middle of the night, after a tough game of cricket and an even tougher post match drinks after, with nothing but an owl hooting for company. Yes those walks home down those country lanes can be a bit tricky, and trips into a hedge sometimes occur; trying to get out can be a bit difficult at two in the morning. I wonder if that owl was hooting or laughing at me!?

On the subject of having a laugh, I see my old friends Ravi Bopara and Samit Patel are out in Sri Lanka as part of the England squad for the two Test series. England have picked four spinners, with Samit being the number four spinner (I hope), surely he has come over to give the England top order some net practice against spin.

As for Ravi; how many more chances? There surely must be a better number six batsman in England, please!!!! This guy has had so many chances, and so many times he has let England down. He has talent, and he will destroy county attacks, but he won’t on the international stage. Graham Gooch having some influence for his Essex buddy?

England won their warm up game quite convincingly, with Cookie scoring a monster load of runs to set up victory. Steven Finn has done himself no harm in pushing for a place in the Test side, but can only see England playing two seamers and two spinners; unfortunately he will miss out again. And Ravi ‘the walking wicket’ Bopara will be coming in at number six!

I do think England will be two strong for the Sri Lankans, but on their own turf it will be very difficult. I will be happy with a 1-0 win for the English and still be at the top of the World Rankings, (good job it rained in New Zealand!).

Has anyone noticed the qualifying tournament for the T20 World Cup? What a healthy bunch of nations competing. 16 teams in the mix and only two spots available, this is sure to be very competitive. So who have we got? Well, in no particular order: Afghanistan, Netherlands, Denmark, Nepal, Namibia, Scotland, Oman, Uganda, Bermuda, Hong Kong, Canada, Papua New Guinea, Ireland, Kenya, USA and Italy.

I should imagine Afghanistan and Ireland would be favourites to go through, however Namibia beat Ireland in their first game, so the form book has been turned on its head read from the outset, so what do I know? Shame it is not covered anywhere on television.

Afghanistan and Namibia are top of their respective groups with four games gone, think we are in for a close finish, with Ireland, Scotland, Canada and the Netherlands in hot pursuit. Two of these six nations will miss out for the semi-finals, which will be just painful for them. Anyway, compulsive viewing, Ireland play Scotland next, I think the losers of that game will be going home.

Last week I mentioned about my predicament in what bet I should do on Somerset this season. Well I have had some less than encouraging responses, mainly saying don’t back Somerset as you put the mockers on them, back Surrey instead, as no one wants them to win anything this season.

Well sorry everyone, the bookies will still have my bet, it will still be on Somerset, but I am still unsure whether to do them to win or each way – where’s my confidence? Well Somerset seem to be oozing confidence at the moment from what I can understand, and I also see Vernon Philander took 10 New Zealand wickets to help South Africa to a comfortable win in the second Test – please don’t get injured, and my win patent will be placed soon.

Right, 10.57, time to get rid of my St. Patrick’s Day hangover, phew, what a day, never knew golf could be such thirsty work! See you at the County Ground tomorrow for the first warm up game.

No comments:

Post a Comment