Sunday 23 October 2011

Sellsy's Sunday Supplement

What do you believe in the papers? Answer: Not much.

It was reported this week that Surrey are close to securing the singing of Murali Kartik, the former Somerset left-arm spinner, as an overseas player for the 2012 season. After he played his last game for Somerset in the Champions League it was reported via another media source that Murali has played his last game, not only for Somerset, but in County Cricket and he will return to play cricket in his native India.

So who do you believe? What has changed? Did anything change? What has attracted Murali to the multi-million, mega-bucks spending Surrey, whose salary bill remains the largest in the county game? Who is the Chief Executive of Surrey who likes to wave his cheque book at any county player who does well? Why did Rory Hamilton-Brown leave Sussex for name your price Surrey? Answers on a postcard please to Jack Rich, who told me the other night that this would happen and I didn’t believe him! What does a 16 year old kid know anyway?

2012 will be another exciting season for Somerset, especially as Craig Kieswetter is doing his best not to be England’s Number One ODI wicket-keeper, after a not so convincing start to the England tour of India. My membership renewal reminder hit the doormat this past week. I would like to thank Somerset for not hiking up the prices for next season - it may have been tempting; I’m pretty sure I’ll get value for money next summer. I may do another bet on Somerset as well!

Glamorgan have re-signed Simon Jones for the umpteenth time, a forgotten man from the 2005 winning Ashes side. His reverse swing was the difference between the two sides as England won the Ashes for the first time for 20+ years. It was sad to see his career blighted by injuries as he could have made a massive impact on the world scene. The guy is all muscle, having seen him in his Speedos in a pool in Port of Spain, Trinidad. He was diving into the pool like an Olympic diver, and I was doing my bombs, a bit like Peter Kay!

So England are 3-0 down against India in a five match one day series and are playing the fourth ODI today, (if you have forgotten, as there is a little thing called the Rugby World Cup Final going on!).

This has been a noticeably bad-tempered series for England, with Tim Bresnan being fined for snatching his cap out of the umpires’ hand, I think more out of frustration than rudeness. MS Dhoni has stirred up the hornets nest a little as well by saying how undisciplined England are, with some sledging going on, (coming from him!). But coach, Andy Flower, has defended their attitude. Batsman Jonathan Trott has suggested that the problem may be that England have not been doing the basics well enough.

Over Stowey have their AGM tonight (Sunday), I do hope it is a quick one, somehow I think not. As AGM’s go I think Stowey have the longest I know of, it will start at about 7.30 and time it will finish I will probably go straight to work, as I start at 6am. If only they could be like the skittles league AGM, one only lasted 10 minutes, or even our own skittles team annual meeting, can last up to all of two minutes, with the quickest being 30 seconds. Oh well, lets see what happens, I am sure a lot will be said and not acted on!

A bit off fall out form last week’s Presentation Evening, Spud did forget what I asked him last week, so had to remind him on Friday. Plus the golf I played the morning after could only best be described as Chinese water torture, don’t mind an odd game, but with a stinker of a hangover, never again.

One last thing, if you are a Somerset supporter and need a bit of cheering up, here is a clip from the 2001 C&G Cup Final. What ever happened to Scott Boswell? http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=mZtLJbC42e4

Well, it’s 10.57, time for a pint I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment