Sunday 22 May 2011

Sellsy's Sunday Supplement

Topsy-turvy, that’s all I can describe this County Championship season for Somerset, when you think they’ve got their bad games out of the way, they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against Sussex. So what’s that now, played six, won two, lost three drawn one – not bad for a side who were favourites at the start of the season.

However, the 40 over league, the boys have not yet lost, winning all their five games. The latest was a comprehensive victory over Lancashire, with Treco leading the way with a brutal century of just 69 balls. Chasing down 249 to win, the Set won with eight overs to spare, wow!

I would like to thank Steve who managed to blag a box that day, as it got us out of the cold wind, and where we were sitting, I think Banger was using those seats for target practice.

On the subject of target practice, since when has my car got a target on it’s bonnet, have a nice little red mark on it, thanks to one of the Huish Champflower’s batsman, didn’t think it was a good ball in the first place, it deserved to be hit, but not at my car!!

I notice Somerset have been giving debuts to quite a few players this season, Adam Dibble, Luke Gregory, Alex Barrow, Craig Meschede, and not forgetting Steve Kirby and Gemaal Hussain. With Craig out injured and Hilldy captaining the Lion’s, these boys need to step up to the plate and prove their worth, especially if Somerset have any aspirations in winning the County Championship.

My debut for Over Stowey was on 8th September 1979, at the ripe young age of 12 years and 124 days. I know this date for a fact, as Somerset was in a Lord’s final, and quite a few of Stowey’s finest made the trip to Lord’s, leaving the Stowey short of players. I know Steve Holley played, along with Andrew Webber, Tim Stacey, The Little bros, Chris Wilton, apart from that I’m at a lost who else played. I know we had to travel along way to play, I think we were at Bridgetown, as I can remember an old wooden pavilion and going down a slope to go onto the field. The journey home, which went via a few pubs, is what got me hooked on playing away! And, of course, the Little Bros!

Mark Sortwell Debut is one not to forget. Our two openers, Timmy Little and Bomber had a sly bet that the first person out had to buy the other person a drink. Needless to say, not many shots were played. After 20 overs, Stowey had only 19 on the board, with the guys on the boundary going mad. After the first wicket fell, shots had to be played to get a half decent total, and Stowey were all out for under 100. Great debut to remember, because he keeps on about it! For the record Bomber won the pint.

Any other debuts which you can remember please let me know, would be good to hear the stories behind them!

Anyway, well played Over Stowey 1st XI on Saturday, who won their first game of the season, beating Huish Champflower by 60 runs. Jack Rich owes a jug, as he took a Michelle in helping to bowl out Huish for under 100.
Another jug is owed by Simon Pickard, who hit 70 for the 2nd XI. This wasn’t enough to prevent the 2nd’s going down to Trull.

Shall I mention dropped catches, perhaps I ought not, don’t want to embarrass Dale!

Well, that’s it for today; it is now 10.57 and time for a pint!

No comments:

Post a Comment